Who are you!?
Founder & Executive Director - Josh Chamberlain
Filmmaker Josh Chamberlain, is heavily active in the Go Green OC campaign. Chamberlain was born and raised in the Ocean City area (mostly Berlin). He grew up on Ocean City beaches and played under the boardwalk his entire childhood. On Friday nights, he could be found fishing off the back piers of Talbot Street, crabbing off the rocks at Stinky Beach and attending church at St. Lukes every Sunday. He has worked here, lived downtown and as of recently, owned a business in Ocean City.
Director of Compost Operations - Garvey Heiderman
Garvey was born and raised in Ocean City and began recycling with his mom when he was young. He has always been passionate about the environment and is trying to utilize his position as the owner of The Hobbit Restaurant as a proving grounds for composting in Ocean City and resort towns alike. He believes with enough effort we can not only get Ocean City to compost across the entire island, but save the town money by pulling a huge amount of material out of the waste stream. He is very excited about the future of waste/source reduction in Ocean City because he is a firm believer that the vast majority of people who live and vacation here care about the environment enough to affect change as long as we provide the tools to do so.
Beach Clean-Up Coordinator - Mandi Wells
Mandi is in her 19th year at Stephen Decatur High School, where she spent time teaching science and coaching field hockey and softball. She now works as the Curriculum Resource Teacher at SDHS. In January, 2018, she co-founded the Stephen Decatur Chapter of the Surfrider Foundation. Serving as the liaison between the students and the Ocean City chapter of the Surfrider Foundation, Mandi coordinates youth volunteer efforts for beach clean ups and other initiatives. Through this, she became involved with Go Green OC, and hopes to use her platform at the high school to assist Go Green OC in their endeavors towards a Zero Waste environment.
Director / Treasurer - Brian Roberts
Bio coming soon.
What We've Achieved (updated weekly)
Partnered with Energy Justice Network (March 1)
Met with Mayor and staff (March 23)
Partnered with the Institute for Local Self-Reliance (March 24)
Attended Surfrider Meeting (April 7)
Corresponded with to all Worcester County Commissioners officially requesting recycling pickup center be established in West Ocean City Park & Ride. (April 11)
Began Production of video campaign (April 12)
Officially adopted Stinky Beach as our clean up site for 2018 (April 16)
• Phone conferenced with Covanta regarding their incineration practices (April 19)
• Travelled to Washington D.C. to meet organizations and environmentalist (April 21)
• OFFICIAL WEB LAUNCH (Earth Day)
• Travelled to Chester, Pennsylvania to meet with community residents affected by the trash incinerator. (April 28)
• Launched Press Tour (May 7)
• Held speech in front of Ocean City Green Team (May 9)
• Hosted first Beach Clean-Up (May 12)
• Launched secret-mission project (June 30)
• Hosted second Beach Clean-Up (July 5)
• Attended Green Team Meeting (July 11)
• Launched Compost Pilot Program (Sep 14-Oct 14)
• Assigned new Vice President Deb Heft to Go Green OC board (Sept 08)
• Assigned new board members (Nov 29)