Go Green OC wants to re-introduce dual-stream traditional recycling in Ocean City starting with cardboard. Burning of recyclables is unacceptable!
According to Covanta, "waste incineration is not recycling.". Although, they pull metals from the ash to be recycled, other sourced materials are incinerated and the remaining ash is buried in a landfill.
Phase 1 - Removing “weight” from the waste stream.
We want to introduce composting to Ocean City. After introducing composting with a goal of removing 30% of organic waste, we want to focus on cardboard recycling.
Integrate a PAYT (Pay As You Throw System) which reduces discards (waste PLUS recycling) by 28% pretty much instantly, and reduces the waste requiring disposal by 44% on average. Check out the success stories from Montgomery County.
Phase 2 - Recycling
Go Green OC wants to introduce dual-stream recycling to businesses in Year 1. Currently, we are consulting with a local recycling company to walk us through the process of setting up an efficient sorting plant. We want to start with cardboard recycling.
Phase 3 - Zero Waste
Our zero waste strategy will introduce Zero-Waste events to Ocean City starting in 2019. We will show how to coordinate and execute a zero-waste event.
Phase 3 - Rebranding and Marketing
Recycling and saving the environment should be cool. We need to rebrand how we view waste in our community. After all, Ocean City is doing some incredible green efforts and know one is hearing about them. We need to be shouting them from the rooftop.
Go Green OC proposes:
• owning the title, "Ocean City is the fist resort town in the United States moving towards zero waste"
• weekly videos highlighting businesses who are superstars in our community and posting on social media (Facebook and Instagram)
• a new social media strategy focused on the environment and achievements
• nationwide news coverage
• partnerships with Green companies to highlight and push how incredible we are
• new community outreach programs
• open forums for discussion and exploration of creative and innovative ideas
• User Generated Content (UGC) - let's hear from the community and learn what others are doing #GoGreenOC
Keep in mind, our strategy is always changing as we meet with community members and town officials. Show your support by signing our online form and tagging us #GoGreenOC